Officers for 2022
- Betty Brown (Senior Warden)
- Joyce Crittenden (Junior Warden)
- Michael Griffin (Secretary/Church Clerk)
- Rickey Mabry (Treasurer)
- Michael Griffin (acting Asst. Treasurer)
The Vestry is the elected lay leadership of our church that acts under the BYLAWS of our parish. Prior to the merger of two parishes into the current single Episcopal Church of All Saints and Ascension parish, each parish had its own governing body. At All Saints, the five-member governing body was the Vestry. At Ascension, the Bishops Committee consisted of five members that governed their parish.
To ease with transition, all ten of these people agreed to remain in office until 2019. On January 28, 2018, at the first annual meeting of the unified parish, the congregation voted to keep all ten of these people to collectively become the new Vestry of All Saints and Ascension church. From this group of ten, the Priest-in-Charge appointed a Senior Warden per our bylaws.
At the annual meeting held on January 27, 2019, it was announced that the number of Vestry members would be reduced from 10 to 9. This was in accordance with new BYLAWS approved the previous year. Six of the 2018 Vestry members rotated off, and five nominees were elected.
Role of the Vestry
In general, the duties of the Vestry include responsibility for management of parish assets, decisions regarding financial obligations and contractual matters, and participation in congregation meetings. Other duties are to be in compliance with applicable federal and state laws, and with the Canons of the Episcopal Church and the Diocese of Missouri.
Vestry members also serve as liaison between the parishioners and the clergy and parish staff. While clergy is responsible for a congregation’s spiritual and pastoral needs, parishioners with concerns about parish management or upkeep should bring them to a member of the Vestry. And when the time comes, it is also the responsibility of the Vestry to call a Rector who, among his or her other duties, serves as the chairperson of the Vestry.
Specifically, according to the BYLAWS of the Episcopal Church of All Saints and Ascension, the duties and responsibilities of the Vestry shall be to:
- take charge of the property and/or assets of the parish
- attend to and regulate all its temporal concerns
- provide for the support of the Rector/Priest-In-Charge
- in the case of Rector/Priest-In-Charge disability, death, retirement, resignation or removal, to obtain a replacement as soon as possible (with the advice and consent of the Bishop)
- act as helpers to the Rector/Priest-In-Charge in whatever is appropriate to the laity, for furtherance of the gospel and mission of this parish. (Note: It is understood always that the spiritual concerns and “best interest” of the Parish are under the exclusive direction of the Rector/Priest-In-Charge, in subordination to the Ecclesiastical Authority and Laws of the Diocese of Missouri).
- be the fiduciary, agent and legal representative of the Parish in all things and matters concerning its corporate duties and responsibilities, and proper management of the Parish’s property/assets. (Note: No mortgage, encumbrances, acquisition or conveyance of any interest in real property belonging to, or that may be acquired by the parish shall be made without two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote of the Vestry, and the prior written approval of the Bishop, by and with the advice and consent of the Standing Committee of the Diocese).
- make a full report to the membership of its proceedings and a complete statement of the financial condition of the Parish at each Annual Meeting of the Parish.
Mission and Vision Statement
Vestry meetings are open to all parishioners as observers. But since meetings are not currently being held in-person, you can no longer just show up.
Your new Vestry is always looking for fresh ways to improve transparency. So, church members are now invited to attend the virtual meetings via Zoom to observe and listen only.
Parishioners who wish to attend a specific meeting must contact the church office to register. At meeting time, you will be admitted when the Zoom administrator confirms your registration and identity. Observers must remain muted during the entire meeting unless invited to speak.
The Vestry meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 6:00 pm. To assure admittance, it is recommended that observers register at least 7 days before a meeting and log in on time. WELCOME!
You must be logged in to post a comment.